Chinese Valentine’s DayFebruary 13th, 2011 | Posted by in Holiday Gifts
The Chinese Valentine’s Day is celebrated on the 7th day of the 7th lunar month in the Chinese calendar. Chinese people also called it Qixi Festival.
Young girls traditionally demonstrate their domestic arts, especially melon carving, on this day and make wishes for a good husband. There is an beautiful love story behind this day about the 7th daughter of Emperor of Heaven and a kind heart orphaned cowherd.
The Emperor played spoilsport and separated both of them. The 7th daughter was forced to move to the star called Vega and the cowherd moved to the star named Altair. They are allowed to meet only once a year on the 7th day of 7th lunar month.
Qi xi originated from Han Dynasty. It came from people’s worship on stars. On Qi Xi, a festoon is placed in the yard and the single or newly married women in the household make an offering to Niulang and Zhinü consisting of fruit, flowers, tea, and facial powder (makeup).
After finishing the offering, half of the facial powder is thrown on the roof and the other half divided among the young women of the household. It is believed that by doing this, the women are bound in beauty with Zhinü.
How to Celebrate Chinese Valentine’s Day
Chinese Valentine’s Day is celebrated a bit differently and there is another special holiday called White Valentine’s Day. On the seventh day of the seventh month of the Lunar calendar the Chinese celebrate Chinese Valentine’s Day.
There are quite a good number of traditions associated with Chinese Valentines Day.
* Rather than getting China flower delivery, they visit the temple of the Matchmaker they pray for their love to be everlasting and some pray for the hope to find love.
* Young girls offer fruit to the weaving maiden, asking for good skills in the art of weaving.
* There is yet another tradition of decorating the oxen horns with beautiful flowers.
* Women thoroughly wash their hair to give it a shiny and glowing look.
* The old people of China will also ask you to stand under a grapevine. Then you can hear what Zhi Nu and Niu Lang are conversing to each other.
- This day of love is now celebrated in a similar fashion to Valentines Day. It is a day of flowers, marriage, romance and gifts such as rings.
- This is the romantic day of the year when young girls and boys visit the Vega star together and get one wish form the Vega star.
- It is also popular that the lovers go to the temple of Matchmaker and pray for the success of their love and the possible marriage.
- Fly the Love Heart Sky lanterns to pray for love.
- Flowers are a universal gift across occasions and are a perfect expression for emotions.
- Write wish message in bottle and hung it in the wishing tree.
- Girls and boys dress to their finery to impress each other.
- Send flowers to China from the top China flowers shop, send white chocolate, marshmallows or jewelry.
- Newlyweds plant trees in a desert during a mass wedding ceremony in Yinchuan.
- Newlyweds in traditional costumes attend a mass wedding ceremony.
Romantic Chinese Valentine’s Day Gifts Ideas
Heart of Love Paperweight – Cutomize crystal heart of love paperweight will a unique way of letting your loved one know your true feelings, your pure love bird will surely treasure this personalized Heart of Love crystal paperweight.
Elegant Valentine’s Day Crafts Themed Mandarin Duck – Mandarin duck, also called love birds or yuan yang in Chinese, Mandarin duck, also called love birds or yuan yang in Chinese. Mandarin duck has been regarded as the symbol of eternal love since ancient times as the love and relationship of them have been valued highly by Chinese. so there are kinds of elegant crafts themed Yuan yang with different size, color, background.
Love T-Shirt – You may want to buy this love’s clothes for your each other and share the romantic valentine day with the make-up T-shirt, but have you ever think that will be meaningful that give your loved one your own DIY T-shirt with love design.
Lover ID Badge – Everyone is wearing an identification badge… name badges and security badges just to name a few. Badge are everywhere and it will be interesting you were wore the lovers’ ID badge, go shopping, seeing a movie, visit your friends etc. Hence, you can make your own lovers’ badge.